105_291.pdf 1.18 MB
The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on lipid peroxidation, antioxidant activity and guanidines and amino acids metabolism in rat brain
Lipid peroxidation, free radical contents, antioxidant activity, guanididno compound metabolism and changes in amino acid contents in rat brain were studied to clarify the effect of a clinically relevant dose of hyperbaric oxygen (HBO). Seven-week-old rats were exposed to HBO at 3 atmosphere absolute for 2 hours. An increase in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and carbon centered radicals was observed after exposure. Supreoxide dismutase-like activity also increased. The measurement of guanidino compounds revealed a significant rise in arginine and guanidinoacetic acid (GAA) levels. Since arginase activity decreased while there was no significant alteration in arginine : glycine-amidinotransferase activity, these changes in enzyme activities seem to cause the increase of arginine and GAA levels. In relation to guanidino compound metabolism, the amino acid contents were determined. An increase in glutamine and taurine levels were observed and these seemed to favor the defense mechanism. These data suggested that ongoing lipid peroxidation in the brain was caused by HBO, and that the defense mechanism against the oxidative stress was activated in response.
|Publication Title Alternative||
Journal of Okayama Medical Association
Okayama Medical Association
1) Noda Y, McGeer PL and McGeer EG : Lipid peroxide distribution in brain and the effect fo hyperbaric oxygen. J Neurochem (1983) 40, 1329-1332.
2) Huggins AK and Nelson DR : The effect of hyperbaric oxygenation on the levels of 5-hydrox-ytryptamine, noradrenaline, dopamine and free amino acids in whole mouse brain. J Neurochem (1975) 25, 117-121.
3) Wood JD : Systemic oxygen derangements ; in Experimental Models of Epilepsy, Purpura DP, Penry JK, Tower DB, Woodbury DM and Walter RD eds, Raven Press, New York (1972) pp461-476.
4) Fischer B, Jain KK, Braun E and Lehrl S : Handbook of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Springer Verlag, Heiderberg (1988) pp 4-16.
5) Glowinski J and Iversen L : Regional studied of catecholamines in the rat brain. J Neutrochem (1966) 13, 655-669.
6) Ohkawa H, Ohishi N and Yagi K : Assay of lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem (1979) 95, 351-358.
7) Danh HC, Benedetti MS and Dostert P : Differential changes in superoxide dismutase activity in brain and liver of old rats and mice. J Neurochem (1983) 40, 1003-1007.
8) Hiramatsu M, Kohno M, Edamatsu R Mitsuta K and Mori A : Increased superoxide dismutase activity in aged human cerebrospinal fluid and rat brain determined by electron spin resonance spectrometry using the spin trap method. J Neurochem (1992) 58, 1160-1164.
9) Colombo JP and Konarska L : Arginase ; in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, Bergmeyer HU ed, 3rd ed. Vol 4, Verlag Chemie, Weinheim (1984) pp 285-294.
10) Van Pilsum JF, Taylor D, Zakis B and McCormick P : Simplified assay for transamidinase activities of rat kidney homogenates. Anal Biochem (1970) 35, 277-286.
11) Zannoni V, Lynch M, Golistein S and Sato P : A rapid micromethod for the determination of ascorbic acid in plasma and tissues. Biochem Med (1974) 11, 41-48.
12) Shibabi ZK and Dyer RD : Protein analysis with bicinchoninic acid. Ann Clin Lab Sci (1988) 18, 235-239.
13) Yusa T, Crapo JD and Freedman BA : Liposome-mediated augmentation of brain SOD and catalase inhibits CNS O2 toxicity. J Appl Physiol (1984) 57, 1674-1681.
14) Yusa T, Beckman JS, Crapo JD and Freedman BA : Hyperoxia increases H2O2 production by brain in vivo. J Appl Physiol (1987) 63, 353-358.
15) Harabin AL, Braisted JC and Flynn ET : Response of antioxidant enzymes to intermittent and continuous hyperbaric oxygen. J Appl Physiol (1990) 69, 328-335.
16) Halliwell B and Gutteridge MC : Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine. 2nd ed, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1989) pp 234-260.
17) Edlbacher S, Kraus J and Leuthardt F : Die Steurung der Arginasewirkung durch Sauerstoff. Z Phys Chem (1933) 217, 89-104.
18) Itoh T, Edamatsu R, Yufu K and Mori A : The effect of hyperocygenation on the membrane fluidity of mouse synaptosome ; in Oxygen Radicals, Yagi K, Kondo M, Niki E and Yoshikawa T eds, Elsevier science Publishers, Amsterdam (1992) pp 397-400.
19) Takemra K, Aoyagi K, Nagase S, Sakamoto M, Ishikawa T and Narita M : Effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on urinary methylguanidine excretion in patients with or without renal failure ; in Guanidino Compounds in Biology and Medisine, DeDeyn PP, Marescau B, Stalon Vand Qureshi IA eds, John Libbey Co., London (1992) pp 301-307.
20) Matsumoto M, Kobayashi K, Kishikawa H and Mori A : Convulsive activity of methylguanidine in cats and rabbits. ICRS Med Sci (1976) 4, 65.
21) Yufu K, Itoh T, Edamatsu R and Mori A : Effect of isobaric hyperoxigenation on guanidino compounds in rat brain ; in Guanidino Compounds in Biology and Medicine, DeDeyn PP, Marescau B, Stalon V and Qureshi IA eds, John Libbey Co., London (1992) pp 461-463.
22) Garthwaite J : Glutamate, nitric oxide and cell-cell singalling in the nervous system. TINS (1991) 14, 60-67.
24) Mollace V, Bagetta G and Nistico G : Evidence that L-arginene possesses pruconvulsant effects mediated through nitric oxide. Neuroreport (1991) 2, 269-272.
25) Davies HC and Davees RE : Biochemical aspects of oxygen poisoning ; in Handbook of Physiology vol 2, section 3 respiration, Fenn WO and Rahn H eds, American Physiologicak Society, Washington (1965) pp 1047-1058.
26) Krichevskaia AA, Shugalei VS, Tsvetnenko EZ and Ananian AA : Protective effect of arginine in hyperoxia. Activity of cerebral glutaminase and glutamate decarbxylase (translation). Vopr Med Khim (1978) 24, 42-46.
27) Yakovlev VN and Leonov AN : Energy metabolism in the cortex and diencephalon during hyperbaric oxygen therapy of acute blood loss. Biochem Biophys (1983) 95, 622-625.
28) Adembri G, Bartolini R, Bartolini R, Giotti A and Zilleti L : Anticonvulsive action of homotaurine and taurine. Br J Pharmacol (1974) 52, 439-440.
29) 森 昭胤：イミダゾールアミノ酸およびβ―アラニンの代謝異常；脳とアミノ酸，中外医学社，東京（1976）pp 199-201.
30) 物部容子，近藤正得，岩藤 晋，八塚秀彦，塩飽善友，小坂二度見：好中球活性酸素産生，血清過酸化脂質および遊離脂肪酸におよぼす高気圧酸素治療の影響．日高圧医誌（1990）25，75-81.
31) 油布克巳，伊藤武彦，枝松 礼，八塚秀彦，橋本秀則，森 昭胤，平川方久：実験的クモ膜下出血に対する高気圧酸素療法の影響：シナプトソーム膜上のATPase活性および膜の流動性変化について．脳循環代謝（1992）4，115.
32) Yamaoka K, Edamatsu R and Mori A : Increased SOD activities and decreased lipid peroxide levels induced by low dose X-irradiation in rat organs. Free Rad Biol Med (1991) 11, 299-306.
|Eprints Journal Name||